Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jennifers Christmas Memories

Here are my memories. One year things were pretty unhappy at our house at Christmastime. Mom knew just what to do, she loaded us in our very old station wagon, stopped at picadilly fish and chips, braved snow stoms and blowing snow across Strawberry and took us all to Grandma Ina’s house for Christmas. Some how Santa found us there, we were loved and happy. I know now that Grandma Angie just needed her Mom that Christmas but I am not sure she knew that I needed Grandma Ina too. Mom and dad were getting a divorce, I was old enough to know what was going on and still trying to work things out in my own mind as to how to respond to my dad. Well, he came to visit us on Christmas afternoon at Grandma Ina’s house, when he came in I saw my Grandmother welcome him with a hug and tell him that she loved him. I’am not sure how she did it when I know her heart must have been breaking inside for Mom. From her example I knew it was ok for me to still love my dad and it helped me a lot and I have reflected back on it many times.

Here is a funny memory, one year Mom was getting Dave a really cool ski coat, pants, glove, and hat that would match his new “K2 cheeseburger” skis. She had them on lay-a-way at Jerry’s sporting good. Well, Dave thought this might be the case but was not 100% sure, so he went over to Jerry’s and told them “my mom said to come over and try on the things she has on lay-a-way to make sure they fit”. The nice people at Jerry’s thinking they were doing the right thing got them right out, showed him everything and sure enough they fit! David is really sneaky.

Mom always made sure, somehow, that we always had a nice Christmas. I know she sacrificed so much to give us all she could. The best thing she ever gave any of us was her love, and the gift of teaching us to work hard, teaching us to be honest (unless we are talking about the last “TAB” hidden away in the fridge), and to serve and care for our families.

I love my Mother so very much, I hope to be half the person she is and wish her the very merriest Christmas ever this year.

Love,
Jen

Send me your Christmas memories of Grandma Angie at ellie_jenks@hotmail.com and I will post them for Grandma to read this Christmas! SPREAD THE WORD!!!

No comments: